(Senior) Technical Artist14.12.2020 Art Stockholm Metropolitan Area Permanent Open position Apply here
Rovio’s Stockholm Studio is the studio behind the hugely popular Angry Birds 2, the bigger, badder and birdier sequel to the global phenomenon that put Angry Birds on the map. The studio is dedicated to making the Angry Birds 2 game experience ever more exciting for players, developing continual improvements, as well as running world class live ops every day.
In addition to Angry Birds 2, Stockholm studio is actively developing new titles in the RPG genre, with the Angry Birds brand and also new original IPs. Our ambitious teams are full of passionate RPG players who are eager to leave their mark. We describe our approach to this wide genre as “lean RPG” – we strive to create games that are approachable, but retain the deep mechanics and late game that RPG players know and love.
When making games with our lean RPG approach, we employ the design pillars of approachability, fresh core gameplay, a focus on our super fans, and creating living game experiences through live-ops. Our development is driven by our players. We use data to provide insights into our players’ needs, and we always strive for improvement through continual iteration.
We are on the lookout for a talented Technical Artist to join our multinational art team to work across multiple projects, amongst them the hugely successful Angry Birds 2. We’d love to have our team members bring their own creative vision to everything they do. If that describes you, this is a great opportunity to work in a fun and creative environment with skilled coworkers, contribute to captivating new products, and expose your work to a global audience.
As a Technical Artist you will be part of spearheading technical solutions and optimizations to find the balance between quality and efficiency. You will act as the glue between artists and programmers, and work closely with project art leads and Art Director.
- Collaborate with artists, designers, and programmers to efficiently integrate assets into the engine
- Maintain and improve the efficiency of workflows, content pipelines, and develop tools/frameworks for artists
- Write and maintain performance shaders that support and achieve the desired visual vision
- Analyze and improve art asset inefficiencies and optimize game performance by working with engineers and artists
- Collaborate with our prototyping teams to help create and deliver mockups, wireframes, and prototypes
- Proficiently communicate the status of tasks and progress to stakeholders
Who we think will do great in this role has
- Advanced knowledge of building, implementing and improving art tools in Unity or similar engines
- A solid understanding of the technical aspects of game art creation
- Experience in creating high-quality game art efficiently
- Excellent knowledge of writing shaders for real-time rendering
- Detailed understanding of technical limitations of engines and target platforms
- Ability to evaluate artist needs and identify issues, to understand and support them
- Proven expertise of working with art teams and leads to deliver the game to the artistic vision
- Well functional cross-disciplinary language
- Excellent skills in multitasking, organizing, communication, and team collaboration
- Open to feedback and enjoy working in a fast-paced, constantly iterating environment
We’d love if you have some of these
- Advanced knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/HLSL/CG
- Expert knowledge of content creation software, especially Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, Houdini, Zbrush, Substance, or Photoshop. An Artist-first mindset is a plus
- Experience in developing for mobile hardware and understand limitations and performance profiling and optimization (CPU and/or GPU)
- At least 4 years of hands-on experience as a technical artist
- Solid knowledge of the latest technologies and current trends in art pipelines
- Proven experience in content creation risk management
- Technical animation experience
- Interest in mentoring and guiding junior technical artists
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager and our senior technical artist. Before diving deeper into your competencies, we would like to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will perform a short test so we can understand how you tackle a basic tech art assignment.
- Final meetings: You will meet other members from our wider team. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop.