Senior Game Designer31.01.2024 Design Permanent Open position Apply here
At Rovio you will get to work with multiple groundbreaking IP’s including one of the most famous game IP’s in the world: Angry Birds! We craft joy with player-focused gaming experiences that last for decades. In order to do that, we know that people need to bring their own joy to what we do. That’s why we value work-life balance, say no to crunch culture, and welcome people from all walks of life to join the flock. Today, we are a proud team of 500+ caring and talented professionals representing over 50 different nations.
We trust our teams to work autonomously by providing them the right tools and level of responsibility. We believe in our teams to remain creative and to keep learning – as well as ensuring everyone has opportunities for personal growth.
To support our mission of keeping Angry Birds 2 the top choice among mobile games we are now looking for a Senior Game Designer to join us in our studio in the centre of Stockholm and add more creative energy to the Design craft on the Angry Birds 2 project. Do you live, breathe, and dream F2P game design? - If yes, this role is for you!
In this role you will be a critical part of one of the sub teams working on adding new features to Angry Birds 2 where your focus will be gameplay design. Your work will have an impact on millions of Angry Birds players by enhancing the existing and suggesting new features that create the daily fun and unforgettable player experience.
We are working in a hybrid mode with a few days a week in the office in our studio in the centre of Stockholm and will support relocation to Sweden if you are not already here.
You will have impact and fun at work by:
- Creating and overseeing feature designs for Angry Birds 2 from totally new features to improvements on the existing features and live events
- Creating new mechanics and bringing new depth to the gameplay that can vary from adding new powers to our beloved Angry Birds, to inventing new characters and new ways of playing the game
- Pitching ideas to a product team using different data sources and your expertise to back up the arguments
- Constantly deconstructing the current game to find new design opportunities
- Driving your designs end to end from the ideation to production
- Sharing knowledge with the team, mentoring junior colleagues and constantly working to improve design practices
Experience and skills we are looking for:
- Proven experience working as gameplay designer in mobile F2P games on multiple titles
- Experience of shipping features for a live game
- Solid experience in creating strong game concepts, pitching your ideas and leading them though execution
- Good understanding of highly balanced game systems and economies and a deep understanding of player motivations
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support and validate your intuition
- Experience with collaborative game design
It would be nice if you also have the following skills:
- Interest and experience working on casual RPG titles
- Introduction call: You will have a first chat with our TA partner. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you
- First interview: you will meet the Design Director in the Studio. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team and the specifics of the role
- Design skills round: we would love to have a deep dive into your design skills together with the team here and have a conversation about how you can approach a specific topic
- Final round: You will be meeting the wider Game team over a few separate conversations and our aim is to get a clear overview of how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help each other develop and see how you will work in a larger team
Please apply with your CV in English.
Rovio's Stockholm Studio is the studio behind the hugely popular Angry Birds 2, the bigger, badder and birdier sequel to the global phenomenon Angry Birds. The studio is dedicated to making the Angry Birds 2 game experience ever more exciting for players, developing continual improvements, as well as running world class live ops every day.
In addition to Angry Birds 2, Stockholm studio is actively developing new titles with the Angry Birds brand as well as new original IPs. Our approach is to focus on highly accessible yet innovative cores paired with Rovio's light-hearted aesthetic. At the same time, we still aim to deliver a deep meta that can keep players engaged for decades. Our development is driven by our players as we push to become masters of our genre. We use data to provide insights into our players' needs, and we always strive for improvement through continual iteration.
Our ambitious teams are full of passionate gamers who are eager to leave their mark.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
At Rovio, we are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. If you have any questions before applying, please write to us at email@example.com.