Engineering Manager09.11.2023 Technology Permanent Open position Apply here
At Rovio you will get to work with multiple groundbreaking IPs including one of the most famous game IPs in the world: Angry Birds! We craft joy with player-focused gaming experiences that last for decades. In order to do that, we know that people need to bring their own joy to what we do. That’s why we value work-life balance, say no to crunch culture, and welcome people from all walks of life to join the flock. Today, we are a proud team of 500+ caring and talented professionals representing over 50 different nations.
We trust our teams to work autonomously by providing them the right tools and level of responsibility. We believe in our teams to remain creative and to keep learning – as well as ensuring everyone has opportunities for personal growth.
We are looking for a passionate people leader and game developer to join our studio in a new Engineering Manager role here in Stockholm, Sweden. We are a small and collaborative team and work as a part of the Stockholm studio developing one of the biggest games in Rovio’s portfolio, Angry Birds 2. As the game is steadily growing the fanbase, we are looking to add a new role to the team where you will both be contributing to the code on a daily basis but will also play a critical role in growing the Engineering Craft and managing a few developers in the studio.
You will be a critical addition to the team and help us maintain a big live game while adding new exciting features. We will provide you a chance to create a real impact by helping others grow and perform at their best as well as contributing to the live features. The work you and your team delivers will be highly visible to our players worldwide.
Our Studio is located in the centre of Stockholm and we operate in a hybrid more with a few days in the office. We can support with relocation if you are not already in Sweden.
You will have impact and fun at work by:
- Leading and mentoring 4-5 Developers in the studio being responsible for their daily work and career development
- Supporting your team members’ personal development by leveraging your own technical expertise and facilitate opportunities for growth
- Contributing to design decisions helping the team to achieve the technical success of the game together with the rest of the team
- Writing clean and maintainable C# code and implement game features with other developers in the team (30-40% of your time)
- Working with server developers for seamless backend integration
- Optimising the games to run smoothly on mobile platforms
- Introducing new best practices to ensure seamless delivery of the team
- Constantly refining the code quality by following good programming principles and implementing the TDD practice
Experience and skills we are looking for:
- Track record of people leadership and mentoring other developers including onboarding, hiring and having growth and development conversations
- Solid experience of commercial game programming
- Experience of building and launching multiple mobile games on iOS and Android
- Good programming skills with C# and Unity
- Good understanding of mobile platforms and hardware
- Experience with F2P games both as a developer and a player
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Knowledge of game architecture and technologies
- Experience in technical leadership
- Experience with unit tests
What you will get here:
- You’ll join a team that has a strong passion for what they do
- We have mastered physics based games and work on the cutting edge of innovation
- You’ll get to work with a super talented team that knows the ins and outs of making successful games that last
- We’re built on independence and responsibility. We understand the way for our people and teams to do their best work is to give them the freedom and independence to truly own their projects
- We cherish the Nordic work culture. We create joy, value teamwork, and support wellbeing and overall work life balance
- You will have a chance to excel in the software craftsmanship and helping you team grow and develop
First meeting: You will have a first chat with our TA partner. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you.
Hiring manager meeting: you will meet our Technical Director in the Studio to dive deeper into your skills and the role expectations.
Skills assessment: you will have a technical conversation with the engineers on the team to dive deeper into your programming and design skills and see how you might be able to coach other engineers.
Leadership interview: a deep dive into your leadership skills with our HR team.
Final round: You will be meeting other members of the game team and our aim is to get a clear overview of how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help each other develop and see how you will work in a larger team.
We cannot wait to talk to you! Please send your CV in English.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
At Rovio, we are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. If you have any questions before applying, please write to us at email@example.com.