Design Director / Creative LeadView all open positions
Design Director / Creative Lead18.01.2023 Design Permanent Open position Apply here
Do you live, breathe, and dream F2P puzzle levels? Is your mind filled with ideas on ways to evolve the player's experience? Do you know how to inspire and lead a team to create their best work? We are looking for an experienced and passionate Design Director to join our successful Puzzle Studio. Our vision is to innovate on the puzzle category with games that fill players with delight. You will come in with experience and leadership to drive our Design Craft with vision and direction.
As a critical part of the Design Department, you support the Studio Design Craft lead to ensure the department is strong and always growing and work side by side with the Game Lead in all areas of game vision. Ensuring that the department is challenged to further master each craft, supported by our studio and improving our process, tools and overall approach to the crafts. We expect that you share our passion to take puzzle gaming to the next level by providing deeper gameplay experiences, and for that, you want to understand how levels connect to all other areas of the game, level mechanics, player feedback, level design philosophies, and the player journey in all ways.
What you'll be doing:
- Assist Senior Director (Studio Craft lead) with guiding the department. This includes studio initiatives, cross team sharing, cross studio sharing, hiring, and overall development of the department.
- Work side by side with Game Lead in all areas of game vision. Work together with Game Lead to challenge each other to raise the thinking of the game vision to new heights.
- Own and drives the game’s creative vision which includes concept, gameplay, story, characters, and functionality. Steer team direction to ensure player needs are being met to ensure a successful game.
- Act as an expert in design and is effective at problem-solving, communication and presentations to influence key stakeholders in supporting the overall game direction.
- Lead by example when needed by execution, ideation, documentation, implementation, and iteration.
- Work with other Leads to ensure the vision is being executed as intended.
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- 12+ years of game design experience
- Lead Designer on several mobile free to play titles
- In-depth working knowledge of Match3 games
- Expert in understanding the motivations of players, engagement, retention, social and monetization
- Working experience on all aspects of design, Levels, Systems, Social, Narrative and Economy
- Working experience owning the vision from ideation to Live Ops
- First meeting: You will meet the Talent Acquisition partner.
- First round meeting the Hiring manager: The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been, and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team, and the specifics of the role.
- Test: You will do an exercise to complete in your own time.
- Second round: Review your test with Craft Members
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the team lead and team member(s). Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, and where we can help each other develop.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, several match 3 games such as Angry Birds Match and Small Town Murders as well as slingshot games like Angry Birds Friends and a great newcomer Angry Birds Journey. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.