Technical Sound Designer17.06.2022 Audio Permanent Open position Apply here
Rovio's award-winning audio team defines how our games and products sound and how audio should be used at Rovio. We are extremely passionate about all things revolving around audio and we pride ourselves in creating immersive and emotionally engaging adaptive audio experiences.
As a Technical Sound Designer, you will be responsible for implementing music, sound, and voice content for our game projects. You will also be expected to support our adaptive audio systems and improve our audio pipelines and workflows. In this role you will have the chance to work with all departments to build and help define how our game projects should sound like. At the same time, you will have the support and assistance of a solid and experienced audio team.
The whole audio team is located in Finland and works in a hybrid model. We are flexible on how and where you want to work from, but we also have in-person team gatherings on a regular basis. The salary range is between 3468 - 4071 EUR / monthly + benefits.
What you get to do:
- Able to do advanced audio content implementation tasks by utilising inhouse audio tools and middleware or programming
- Define and own the technical sound design and execution plans across all game projects (including setup, structure, organisation, and optimisation)
- Provide technical development support across all game projects
- Define, apply, and educate best practices of technical audio workflows and systems
- Fix audio bugs and issues in game projects
- Help to develop and refine our adaptive audio systems and implementation pipelines
- Playtest regularly and help identify opportunities to improve audio quality across all game projects
- Give and seek constructive creative feedback and suggestions from others
- Inspire teamwork and collaboration inside and outside the audio team
What you bring to the role:
- Good experience in game audio development, preferably with 3+ years of experience
- Experience in mobile games is a big plus
- A bachelor's degree in an audio related field or similar experience
- Computer Science knowledge or degree is a plus
- Good experience in C#, C++ or other relevant programming skills
- Good knowledge and knowhow of game engines such as Unity and Unreal
- Good knowledge and knowhow of common audio middlewares (Wwise, FMOD, Fabric, Elias etc.)
- Good knowledge of DAW environments (Reaper, Cubase, Nuendo etc.), including most industry standard plugins and toolsets (Fabfilter, Waves, iZotope etc.)
- Good experience with version control software (Git, SVN, etc.)
- Good understanding of mobile game audio technical requirements and restrictions
- Good understanding of overall audio content creation and workflow
- Musical knowledge and a vision for interactive music is a plus
- Commitment to code quality, documentation, and testing procedures
- Analytical mindset: you are capable of pinpointing bottlenecks in performance and workflows
- Good self-management, organisational and problem solving skills
- Highly value and prioritise working as a team, over individualistic goals, or desires
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent work ethic and a positive attitude
- Fluent in English, and strong verbal and written communication skills
- First round: You will meet the Head of Audio. We want to know who you are and what motivates and inspires you. We will also dive deeper into your qualifications and skills in audio and technology. You will have an opportunity to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role and ask questions.
- Second round: You will be given a test where you need to describe and document your approaches to some creative and technical challenges.
- Third round: You will meet the Head of Audio, Senior Sound Designer and Senior Audio Programmer for a technical interview. They will ask follow up questions related to the test and discuss more in detail about your approaches and decisions from a technical point of view.
- Final round: You will have an informal chat with the entire Audio team where you can learn about each other in a casual setting and experience our team culture.