Technical Director30.09.2021 Technology Toronto Permanent Open position Apply here
Rovio Toronto is a budding new studio; we are an ambitious, games-loving bunch who aim to make creative casual F2P games that make their mark and reach millions of players. Our goal is to grow and find excellence through ongoing iteration driven by data and player feedback - and make fan-favourite games along the way.
We are committed to living the Rovio values of team empowerment and work-life balance in a collaborative, transparent and bubbly environment. As a new studio, we have a unique opportunity to leverage our experience to be bold and build an amazing place to create memorable & impactful games.
As Technical Director, you are a natural leader who enables and inspires your team to deliver stellar games. You are a hands-on technical leader who also loves, plays and understands games. You are passionate about supporting game teams in making robust, scalable mobile games as well as enthusiastic about building up a new studio!
- Work closely with Studio Directors to build up studio culture and execute long term strategy
- Collaborate with key stakeholders and directly contribute to the design of major game features, technology budgeting, scheduling and whole-project dependency analysis
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to ensure we deliver high quality game experiences for our players
- Recruit and retain your team of developers as well as lead, coach and mentor them
- Participate in code peer reviews and help develop teams’ technical skills
- Communicate with other teams in the company ensuring the Studio is technically aligned
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Extensive Unity experience
- Experience leading technical development for multiple mobile titles from ideation to shipping to live operations
- Experience with and good understanding of cloud services/infrastructures. Having used AWS is a plus
- Ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical parties
- Autonomous problem-solving and solution-driving skills
- You have been a hands-on expert in key technical fields at some point (e.g. Unity, optimizations, bundling/asset management, tools, pipelines, data mining)
- Strong leadership skills & team player
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Solid prototyping experience
- Handled versioning on all levels for data definition, persistence and communication protocols for connected games
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. Before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will meet with Rovio Technical Directors with whom you will dive deeper into your skills, your ambitions and where we can help you grow.
- Third round: You will be invited to meet the Studio and Game Leads. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture.
- Fourth round: You will meet with the CTO.
- Final round: You will meet with HR to assess global team fit and leadership skills.