Senior/Lead Game Designer17.07.2020 Design Helsinki Metropolitan Area Permanent Contract Open position Apply here
Rovio’s Battle Studio is all about making games that don’t shy away from mixing RPG and action elements with strategy. As such, the team is working on creating the most approachable 4X game on the market, which is currently in soft launch, while also busily prototyping other types of strategy games behind the scenes. Set up in 2016, the 50-person strong studio has a flat hierarchy, a high level of transparency and open communication. The team is always trying to find ways to improve its projects, tools, communication, and themselves, while keeping the atmosphere friendly, inclusive, respectful and super supportive. With flexible hours, the team are respectful of each other’s time, as well as collectively learning from both mistakes and successes as they grow in numbers and experience. In a nutshell, the team’s mission is to increase the accessibility of the strategy genre by making such games more appealing to a broader audience.
Do you have a passion for strategy games? Are you thrilled by competitive experiences? Are you driven by challenges? Within Battle Studio we are creating cutting-edge mid-core games and establishing new IPs. Come get inspired and be part of creating something fresh! Excitement is already brewing as we start tackling ambitious goals, and we need you to make the magic happen.
We are now looking for a Senior Game Designer/Lead Designer to join Rovio’s Battle Studio in Helsinki Metropolitan Area, Finland.
- Share and actively contribute to our vision of re-inventing the strategy genre
- Ownership of the design processes in a dynamic team and foster the growth of designers under your wing
- Hands-on approach to maintaining game balance and tweaking game economies to create great experiences
- Design features focusing on strong social engagement and deep free to play monetization
- Prototype gameplay concepts, gather internal and external player feedback and adjust designs as needed
- Continuously benchmark the competition to identify best practices and emerging trends, and share those learnings with both the team and studio
Who we think would do great in this role has:
- 7+ years of commercial experience in game design with a proven track record of F2P game design
- Passion for PvP games, with a keen understanding of what makes these games work and monetize
- Strong social game design skills, understanding the dynamics of competition and collaboration
- Skills and passion to lead game vision, willingness to have an open mind and adapt and iterate designs, but also steer and make decisions when needed
- Strong interest and belief in data-driven approach to support & validate intuition
- Excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Ability to inspire others, spread their knowledge, and foster knowledge creation
We’d love it if you have some of these:
- Experience in F2P strategy and/or 4X games, passion and skills to develop and take those categories to a new level
- Strong understanding of F2P business models and the game industry trends around them, a passion for developing innovative F2P
- Excellent understanding of game design techniques and theory, as well as clear views on social mobile gaming opportunities
- Experience with balancing PvP game systems
- Experience with Unity or other platforms for quick prototyping