Senior Game Artist17.12.2021 Art Helsinki Metropolitan Area Permanent Open position Apply here
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
Our ideal candidate is not only a great artist, but also has a good understanding of what players need and expect from a state-of-the-art puzzle game. We expect you to know your craft from concept to final assets, and to be able to play multiple roles within a game art team.
For this role, creativity is the key and understanding the art of game making is a must. That’s why, we need the abilities to put your own assets to Unity, spice them up with simple shader tricks and particles if needed, and to continue pushing the boundaries with the rest of the team until the experience is great and enjoyable.
Together with your team, you have opportunities to grow in the role or within our studio or cross studios. We have studios in Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Canada (Montreal and Toronto). Puzzle studio is based in Finland and operates under a hybrid model. Details of the model depend on the game teams, however one common practice is to have some face time together weekly once the restrictions are lifted.
- Create game assets and UI Layouts.
- Create concepts and assets for new game mechanics and polishing existing core game elements.
- Create new features and events for a live game.
- Import your assets to the game engine and work with programmers, animators and tech artists on making sure they work as intended.
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Good proficiency in Unity for making game arts, e.g. importing assets, optimizing and setting up assets, atlases, timeline, particles, shader graph, among other things.
- Proficiency in bitmap and vector workflows, e.g. Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Strong skills at creating game assets and UI Layouts.
- Strong understanding of colors, shape language and layouts.
- Basic understanding of 3D workflows, e.g. Blender, 3DsMax or Maya.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
- Pushing for quality and aiming for excellence.
- Empathy and ability to understand the point of view of others, especially the players.
- Portfolio and CV screening
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. Before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Art test: We do a simple art test which is not very time consuming but emulates a task that you would be likely to be working on if selected for this role.
- Second meeting: We will discuss the test and topics related to it.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the game team lead and team member(s).
Send your application with portfolio to demonstrate your skills today! Please note that the hiring team for this position is on holidays until early next January and we will try to get back to you as soon as possible after holidays.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.