Lead Game Server Developer (Java / AWS) – Puzzle Studio29.10.2020 Technology Permanent Open position Apply here
At the Rovio Puzzle Studio in Espoo, we are seeking two experienced Server Developers to join our server team to build game servers! Our server engineers are typically part of a game team - consisting of specialists from other crafts (game programmers, level designers, animators, and more) - either working on upcoming games or ensuring that our currently live games offer the best player experience for millions of players around the world. You will get to work on both the server-side feature development and building out needed infrastructure.
The server team shares knowledge and experience (both the good ones and bad), and works transparently. Senior developers support less experienced developers and the team investigates the most critical issues together in cooperation with our dedicated cloud operations team. Clear communication is vital to our success, both as a studio and a team.
- Design and implement game servers for Puzzle Studio games
- Collaborate with other craft specialists (e.g. game client developers) in specifying game server requirements
- Deployment and maintenance of live game servers
- Work closely with distributed databases and various cloud services
- Provide support and assistance to operation teams, troubleshooting production issues with game backend services
- Provide clear, well-written documentation as needed
What you need to succeed in this role
- Excellent Java programming skills, especially in building highly available, scalable and reliable services
- Be aware of modern functional programming paradigms & key best practices in software engineering
- Database design and modelling
- Practical experience with concurrent and distributed systems
- Experience with Linux (or similar) platforms and practical knowledge of shell scripting
- Hands-on experience with cloud platform(s) (e.g. AWS) and IaaC frameworks like Terraform
- A healthy attitude, an appetite for learning, and an ability to be independent
- Willing to admit mistakes (and writing incident reports :), a good dose of humility and respect for your colleagues
In addition, we would love to hear if you have
- Prior experience building backends for games
- Experience building high-throughput systems in other domains
- Experience building services and scaling them for virtualized computing environments
We help out with relocation if necessary.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.