Lead Data Engineer17.01.2024 Technology Permanent Open position Apply here
At Rovio you will get to work with multiple groundbreaking IPs including one of the most famous game IPs in the world: Angry Birds! We craft joy with player-focused gaming experiences that last for decades. In order to do that, we know that people need to bring their own joy to what we do. That’s why we value work-life balance, say no to crunch culture, and welcome people from all walks of life to join the flock. Today, we are a proud team of 500+ caring and talented professionals representing over 50 different nations.
We trust our teams to work autonomously by providing them the right tools and level of responsibility. We believe in our teams to remain creative and to keep learning – as well as ensuring everyone has opportunities for personal growth.
The Games Technology team encompasses a whole host of data and analytics expertise areas, including machine learning, build and submission tools, and cloud infrastructure. Powered by Beacon, Rovio's in-house cloud services platform, the team supports tens of millions of players, capturing 10+ billion events and over 100TB of data per day. All of this work results in services and tools that enable successful live operations and continuous optimization in Rovio’s games.
We are looking for a software engineer to join our Data & ML Engineering team as a Lead Data Engineer. In this role at Rovio you get to combine software engineering with the fast-moving data landscape in the exciting mobile gaming domain. You build data pipelines, products, and services to help grow the games developed by Rovio. This involves various objectives from productized datasets to ML models, in order to support decision making and to enhance the player experience.
You collaborate with other teams in development projects. Along with your colleagues in the Data & ML Engineering team you also maintain the data platform at Rovio and help other teams with their daily data needs. As one Rovio, we are in constant lookout for new business opportunities to pursue.
Our Tech Stack:
- We are heavy users of Spark and write most of our new code in Python
- We also have microservices and streaming analytics with Flink that are both written in Java and some Scala
- We query our Data Lake with engines like Athena and Presto
- We use a number of AWS services like EMR and SageMaker
- We also like Druid, and you can find us contributing to the open source community
You will have impact and fun at work by doing:
- Developing and maintaining our analytics solutions by participating in development projects with cross organisational teams and daily operational work
- Supporting the game teams and various business functions by translating their needs to scalable data products
- Working with and guiding the team members in data engineering work in projects and daily maintenance to keep the data flowing
- Supporting others as a domain expert for big data processing and Rovio data
- Evaluating and deploying new data technologies and industry practices as we take smart risks in adopting new tech and approaches
- Providing guidance and support to a team of data engineers, helping them grow in their roles and help them advance in their career development
Experience and skills we are looking for:
- Solid programming skills (team is currently working with Python and Java)
- Proven record of developing & running production-grade systems
- Proficient knowledge of SQL and databases or data warehousing
- Solid knowledge and working experience with cloud services (AWS preferably)
- Experience building data pipelines and ETL
- Experience in such topics as scalability, reliability and time-to-data and data governance and compliance to mention a few examples
- Proactive personality and genuine interest in growing and guiding a team of experts with different specialisation areas
- Experience in mentoring other engineers as an individual contributor if not acted as a Lead or Manager Prior knowledge in specific technologies that we use here at Rovio or working with big data is not a must although it can help you to have a head start. Developer mentality and ability to learn quickly is what counts most.
- Initial call: A quick chat for you to hear a bit more about the role, and for us to get an initial picture of who you are
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, dive deeper into your tech skills and understand what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team and the specifics of the role
- Take home test provided as a Github repo that will help us understand your technical skills better
- Second round: You will have two separate conversations with your future team. One to dive deeper and review your coding solution and the second one to explore how you collaborate with peers and how it is to have you as a colleague. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop
- Final interview: You will meet with the Head of Data & ML Engineering
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
At Rovio, we are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. If you have any questions before applying, please write to us at email@example.com.