Design Director23.09.2021 Design Toronto Permanent Open position Apply here
Rovio Toronto is a budding new studio; we are an ambitious, games-loving bunch who aim to make creative casual F2P games that make their mark and reach millions of players. Our goal is to grow and find excellence through ongoing iteration driven by data and player feedback - and make fan-favourite games along the way.
We are committed to living the Rovio values of team empowerment and work-life balance in a collaborative, transparent and bubbly environment. As a new studio, we have a unique opportunity to leverage our experience to be bold and build an amazing place to create memorable & impactful games.
We are looking for an experienced Creative Director to join our team and help us make the next generation of casual F2P games.
As Creative Director, you have strong pitching skills and are able to create game concepts and drive them to launch and beyond. You share our passion to create impactful, accessible and engaging social game experiences as well as truly connect with the market and players’ motivations. Your knowledge of casual and social game systems and mechanics informs your concepts and supports your creativity.
You are a natural leader who enables and inspires your team to deliver stellar games!
- Work closely with Studio Directors to build up studio culture and execute long term strategy
- Recruit and retrain talented designers focused on making great casual F2P games as well as lead, coach and mentor them
- Take part in studio prototyping efforts making sure we have efficient tools and practices
- Support game teams to make excellent casual F2P games that stand out from the competition
- Achieve both creative and commercial success in mobile F2P
- Lead and develop studio’s design craft, processes and activities from ideation to liveops
- Advocate for creative values within the studio management
- Make sure all projects have a clear and communicated design vision. Evaluate and maintain best practices for the documentation.
- Make sure that each game has a clear and documented vision detailing the game’s player fantasy & narrative - and how that story is told holistically
- Champion the studio’s target audience and be their voice with each game’s design
- Network with other Studios and their Design Directors to ensure consistent Rovio vision and sharing of information and best practices. Participate in organizing cross studio information sharing
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Proven track record in leading design on multiple F2P game projects from ideation to launch to live operations
- Deep and varied understanding and knowledge of game design techniques and theory as well as clear views on current mobile gaming market trends
- Experience with project management and agile processes
- Cross-disciplinary knowledge within the mobile gaming space including art, programming, monetization & marketing
- Knowledge and passion for games
- Strong leadership skills & team player
We’d love if you have some of these:
- Prototyping experience
- Live game /events experience
- Some Unity or C# principles is an added bonus
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. Before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will meet with the Studio Head and Game Lead to see how how you would fit with our working culture
- Third Round: You will meet with another Creative Director at Rovio. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, your ambitions and where we can help you develop.
- Final Round: Interview with HR to assess global team fit and leadership skills.