2D ArtistView all open positions
2D Artist25.05.2023 Art Permanent Open position Apply here
At Rovio Toronto we are a small (and mighty!) team of passionate gamers. We have a knack for working with high profile brands and taking them to new heights in highly enjoyable and fresh games. Our current focus is mobile with aspirations to explore other platforms in the mid/long term as we recognize new opportunities in our constantly evolving market. Our human-scale keeps up nimble and means that everyone has a meaningful part to play.
We value transparency and candor, empowering each other to do our best work and achieve true work/life balance. Our hybrid work model allows for flexibility while still maintaining a strong sense of community.
Join us and help us build a culture of trust, passion, and innovation!
Summary of your role:
At Rovio, we believe that great games are made by people who are passionate about actually making them! As a 2D Artist, you will work closely with our design and development teams to create high-quality game assets that are visually engaging and immersive.
As a 2D Artist, you are responsible for:
- Design characters, backgrounds, props and icons
- Support our pre-production by crafting stylized designs that are consistent with the quality and style requirements of the Angry Birds brand
- Execute 2D tasks following given specifications (screen size, asset size, aspect ratio)
- Understand the goals of the project and craft 2D designs that are not only aesthetically pleasing but also meet gameplay requirements
- Collaborate with the design and development teams to ensure that assets meet the game's vision and technical requirements
- Work with the Art Director and Producer to ensure that deadlines are met
- Iterate on art assets based on feedback from stakeholders
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and techniques in 2D game art
You’ll need these skills:
- Ability to design stylized and colourful TV/feature animation quality environments, props and characters, (previous gaming experience is not a must)
- Previous professional/studio experience as Visual Development Artist, Character Designer, Layout/Prop Artist in animation (Film/TV) is a must
- Ability to work in different art styles
- Understanding of colour theory, composition, and visual storytelling
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills - in a hybrid-work future with teams working together physically and distributed in equal measure, the need for clarity-building communication is paramount
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative taking
Nice to have skills:
- Unity Engine experience
- Working knowledge of 3D or a game engine (Unity/Unreal) as part of your 2D design workflow
- Working knowledge of additional Art crafts: animation/motion design, video editing, 2D hand drawn VFX
Do you have everything we’re looking for? Of course not! No one does. If you feel strongly you have something to contribute to our team then please, please apply anyways!
Rovio is committed to building an inclusive workplace and we encourage a full range of diverse and talented candidates to apply for our open positions.
Our community of Rovians is made up of people from over 50 nationalities who each bring their own unique perspective to their craft and their projects. We believe diversity is the key to making the best games and entertainment for global audiences, allowing us to innovate by transforming existing ideas by adding our continuously evolving knowledge.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.